Ready to land a job or internship? We can help you get ready for the inteview process!
The 4 P’s of Interviewing
Preparation…Practice, Practice, Practice.
- Research company/agency by searching websites
- Write down interesting facts that come up in your research Consider the mission of the company/agency in your research
- Engage in a mock interview with family, friends, Career Center representatives and use Big Interview!
- Review potential questions and your answers
- Review and write down questions to ask your interviewer
- Print and bring multiple copies of your resume
- Get plenty of sleep
- Dress professionally
- Plan to arrive at least 20 minutes early
- Your interview starts the minute you walk in the building -greet and act professional with everyone you encounter. Smile, make eye contact, and give a firm handshake.
- Try to reduce non-verbal habits (i.e. hand movements, hair twirling, foot-stomping/tapping, facial expressions)
- Show confidence!
- Always ask for the business cards of your interviewer
- Send thank you emails 24-48 hours after the interview
- Send follow-up emails 5-7 business days after the interview Continue searching and utilizing all of your resources
- Contact the Career Center additional assistance
Sample Questions. You’ll want to practice some other common questions that are asked in interviews as well. Below are a few questions you may be asked.
- Why do you want to work here?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- Where do you see yourself in five years? What are your salary expectations?
Questions YOU should ask. Your interviewer may ask if you have questions for them at the end of an interview. Use these samples as a guide!
- What does a typical day look like in this position?
- Describe the corporate culture here.
- What training is involved for someone in this position?
When preparing for a job interview, it’s not enough to only read advice – you need to put that advice into practice! Big Interview offers training lessons and hands-on practice with mock interviews.
As a currently enrolled Brookdale student, you have 24/7 access to Big Interview, where you can get hands-on practice with mock interviews tailored to your specific industry, job and experience level. Register today – you will need your Brookdale email to get started!